Wednesday, October 7, 2015

36 Hours (Book Project)

In the Type III class we are working on a book project that deals with found type of the course of a 36 hour period. My idea for this project is to use type found in album cover art with added illustrations and hand written text.
The book is supposed to be divided into 3 sections, of 12 images each, and for my book I will choose 12 albums for each section. While listening to the each album in its entirity I intend to jot down any thoughts or memories that the music evokes, so to include that in the book.
The 3 sections will cover different experiences of my life. The first section will be comprise of albums that were a part of my childhood/adolescence. The second will cover albums that were significant to the period in which I began to focus on art and design. The third section instead will not have any direct memories tied to it as the albums will largely be chosen by others and will all be new to me.
With these 3 sections set in place, I am hoping that they will bring about different feelings. The first ought to deal with the distant past, the second with the recent past, and the third with new experiences and a look towards the future.




The size of my book will be roughly 12cm x 12cm to reflect the size of CD cases which were prevalent in my youth up until a few years ago when I stopped purchasing physical copies of albums. Above are some of the album covers I intend to use and they have been printed on an adhesive material.
The adhesives are all 8cm x 8cm and will be placed on transparent paper. On the reverse side of the transparent substrate another 8cm x 8cm square will be placed in the same spot to cover up the backside of each sticker. The second sticker for each page will have a detail that deals with type.
When flipping through the book the reader will first see a square image of type. Then when the page is turned the backside will reveal the entire album cover. The next page will not be transparent, but rather paper where I will place the illustration and hand written text.
Below are some of the colored transparencies I might use in the final execution.



1 comment:

  1. After our conversation upon the record/music album cover, I think there is a story that can be told through the typographic samples that you can conjure up. The usage of paper revealing or hiding information can become an interesting tactile experience; however, the story should be the most powerful part. I am eager in seeing how you discover these new components.

    ReplyDelete